Spring 2011: Costume Design

The results of my three projects in Costume Design this semester.

The first was, predictably, Oedipus Rex.


It’s a long time since these were due, so I can’t really think of much to say about them. Some of the figures turned out all right, and the designs in general turned out pretty solid in my and my professor’s opinion’s both.

The second project, which sent me into utter fits, was Hedda Gabler.

Considering I’ve really never done much in collage before, I think these turned out spectacularly well. Professor suggested a grey ink or paint wash behind the figures to make them stand out from the background better, and I agree; she also wished Hedda’s two dresses were less similar in color scheme.

After Hedda we only had two weeks of school left, so the last project was tiny; we just had to pick an existing TV show, invent an episode for it, and design four costumes for that episode. I decided to do mirrorverse Farscape.

Pretty good marker renderings, I think! I don’t know what else to say about these, except that Aeryn is my favorite by like a mile.

a costume rendering

Guess who still isn’t dead! I’ve been really busy with school, and despite being an art student all my drawing classes this semester are really dry– Drafting for Theater and Applied Drawing. I could cry for wanting to do some freehand drawing, but I am so tired.

This wasn’t for school or professional, just a really nerdy purpose on my own time. Considering how little freehand drawing I’ve been doing lately and how rarely I draw in color, I think it turned out fantastic. Possibly the best job of figure drawing I’ve done yet.

This is a woman from 1944, going to a cocktail-ish party. She came out looking a bit 60s-ish, but I’m pleased to say that problem is with my rendering and not the design; I didn’t shade the skirt enough to suggest the proper fullness, and I shaded the collar too much so it looks way more dramatic than it was supposed to be. But generally: really really happy.